Tuesday, March 17, 2015

3 Things



Yesterday's beautiful sunrise

This week has been amazing!  I'm so glad that I'm still in Crete with Elder Kummerman so that I can be able to be here and see these miracles.  
One of the biggest one's that we're seeing is with a 15 year old kid named Dylan who is Barbara's son.  Back before Barbara's baptism in October, Dylan didn't want much to do with us and really all we were were the guys in shirts and ties that came over and talked to his mom.  But since then Dylan has been a lot more open with us and a lot more talkitive.  I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that because we've begun to show him that we care about him by going to play basketball with him on Saturdays his desire to talk to us has grown as well.  He just needed to know we cared.  Little by little over the past few months, Dylan has been sitting in on more discussions and asking lots of really good questions.  This last week's lesson was exceptionally good when we taught the Plan of Salvation.  When we began talking about what happens when we die, instantly Dylan perked up and began asking lots of questions.  Something (the Spirit) got him interested in the message we were sharing and instantly he wanted to learn more.  With every time we've seen him since he's been asking question after question and I'm excited to see what happens with him next. 
The St. George NOM olympics winners. 
Me for Sit UPs and Elder Hansen for Ladders

All the missionaries who participated


The Medal
















Another great thing from this week was Zone Conference/ NOM Olympics.  I'm convinced that each Zone Conference gets better and better.  This Conference's focus was about teaching in the Lord's way which is "To preach my gospel by the Spirit, even the Comforter which was sent forth to teach the truth." (D&C 50:14). 
President Weston shared the story of when Elder Bednar set him apart as a Mission President.  Elder Bednar told him that there was only three things that he needed to take into the mission field:
  1. The Scriptures (Direction on how the work of the Lord has been done since the beginning of time)
  2. Preach My Gospel (Direction on how the work of the Lord is to be done in our days)
  3. The Spirit
We talked about how incredibly important it is to utilize all three of those things out here in this area of the Lord's work.  I know that if we'll utilize those three things, that the work of the Lord will progress faster than it already is.  The work is hastening.  Our area of Crete is a prime example of that seeing that in my 9 months here, the investigator pool has doubled, Less Actives are being strengthened and coming back, and there are new people coming out of the woodwork who are interested in learning more about the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I know that it has nothing to do with me being here but it has everything to do with the fact that the Lord is working on this area.  Of that I'm sure.  
I know this is the work of the Lord.  I know that Crete is where he wants me to be at this time.  I know he places each of us in areas where we can do the most good, even if we're not called to be full-time missionaries.  Look for opportunities to share the Gospel and I promise they will come. 
I hope you have a great week!  
Lots of Love,
Elder Zack Paddock

PS I won the Sit Ups competition.

From his email to his dad:
Did I tell you about church last week?  I gained a testimony of constant preparedness when I was asked to translate Sacrament Meeting to Spanish, give the Gospel Principles lesson (with a 5 minute warning before class) and translate Spanish to English for Elder's quorum since the teacher doesn't speak much English.... OH the joy's of missionary work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment