Monday, December 22, 2014

Being a Proud "Parent"

Merry Christmas from Elder Paddock and Elder Kummerman!

Training is by far the hardest thing I have ever been asked to do but it is also one of the most rewarding.  I have heard its a lot like being a real parent.  I have to teach him how to talk (both in English, like what to say, and in Spanish of how to say it correctly), I have to teach him how to walk (teach him the area, know where to go, how to tract, etc.), and how to take care of himself (like the daily schedule, buying groceries, etc.)  Luckily the last one's pretty easy since he went to college for 2 years in Oregon.   I've never been so tired though.  Constantly watching over someone to make sure they're doing alright and adjusting and are continually progressing takes a lot out of a person.  
But luckily this week's been pretty rewarding.  It's been really cool to teach him something and later that day watch him use it.  
For example, we went to go try to visit a guy named Rene.  We've seen Rene a couple times and this time when we went to try him, a lot of his family was there.  Earlier that morning, Elder Kummerman and I had talked about the very first minutes after we enter a home and how important those are to set up the rest of the visit and how its going to go.  We had talked about the importance of inviting every one in the home to join in the conversation and as we were sitting there with Rene, his mom walked into the room and Elder Kummerman jumped on the opportunity and invited her to join us.  She accecpted and actually ended up participating way more in the lesson than Rene did.   
We've also had many other occasions during knocking or talking to people during service where I see him go over and just start talking to people.  Its been really cool to watch him grow just in one week.  I'm pretty sure this must be what a parent feels like watching their children accomplish things.  Training has been a completely different experience than anything I've had these past 14ish months and I'm thankful for the opportunity.  

On a completely side note, I convinced someone I was from Spain this week!  I've been practicing my accent and he totally believed me for a bit!  When I told him I was kidding and that I was from UT he was really surprised.  I'm probably going to keep having fun with people like that for the rest of my life :)  

Anyways this week was good!  We had a super good Zone Conference focused on our responsibility to talk to everyone.  We talked a lot about the scripture in 3 Nephi 5:13 that says "Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life."  I know that is true.  That really is our responsibility and I'm grateful for my calling as a full-time missionary. There's no where else I'd rather be.  

I love you and I'm sooooo excited for Thursday when I get to talk to you for a little bit.  I've been counting down the days since October :)

See you soon!  Have a great week!
Lots of love,
Elder Zack
Sis Weston's photo from Zone Conference:
Elders ?, Holman, Garff, Paddock, & Kummerman

Sis Weston's photo from Zone Conference:
Elders Kummerman, ?,?, Garff, Paddock, ?


No comments:

Post a Comment