Monday, May 5, 2014

A Week of Great News



Vaaaaaaaca Santa (Hooooooooooly Cow) this was a good week!  We've had so much good news come to us in the 7 days that I really can't stop smiling.  Let me tell you about how awesome this week was.

Wednesday we had interviews with President Weston.  Basically what goes down in these is that President asks how we're doing, how's our companion, how's the area, is there any thing we think we can work on,
and then he opens it up for any questions that we have.  I came prepared this time and was just asking him question after question trying to figure out in which ways I can improve as a servant of the Lord.  He's so great.  He answered every question I had and after the interview I felt like a million bucks and was ready to hit the streets again.   He just talked to me about the ways our area can improve, how I shouldn't ever doubt myself, and how if I really want to help Elder Shipley improve is just to love him more.  Since interviews the work here has boosted and I know that as we take the advice of our inspired leaders who have been called of God that this work will Hasten like it should be.

Now I've got news about two of the people we've been teaching.  One scared me to death for a moment and the other brought me exceeding joy.  Let me explain.  So Martha is awesome.  I've already established that I think.  This week as she was feeding us some AMAZING floutas (kind of like tacos), she was telling us all about their trip to Mexico that they're taking this Summer.  It sounds like lots of fun!  Beaches, relaxing, having fun with family, all that good stuff.  She even invited us to go with them!  (which sadly, we can not...) However she didn't tell us that they'd be leaving on the 26th of May.....and they're not coming back until August.... My heart dropped.  I won't be here in August.  We only stay, at most, in an area for 9 months, not 10.  We've worked so
hard with her and she's progressing so well.  But then we got a revelation, checked the phone calendar, and realized that if she came to church the 4th, the 11th, and the 18th, she could be baptized on the 24th, confirmed on the 25th, and leave to Mexico with the Holy Ghost as a constant companion on the 26th!  All of it just depended on if she came to church this weekend or not.  I'll get to that in a moment.

Other Great news involves Emma, Jose's Wife!   Elder Juan and I used to be teaching the two of them together but realized that they have VERY different needs and that as we taught them together, we only were able to focus on Jose's questions and needs and not her's, thus we gave her to the Hermana's a few months ago, AND GUESS WHAT!!! SHE'S GETTING BAPTIZED ON SATURDAY!!!  I've never been so excited about a baptism.  I feel like we've played even a little part in her conversion.  Elder Shipley (as the DL) interviewed her for baptism on Friday and she passed with flying colors.  She chose him to baptize her and chose me for the honor of confirming her.  She'll be baptized on Saturday, confirmed on Sunday, and then Sunday night I can Skype you and tell you all about it!  Neat, right?!  I'm so happy for her and I can't even explain all the nifty feelings that I get when I think about it.
Celebrating after Emma's Baptism Interview
Last cool thing of the week.  We had Stake Conference yesterday where 2 General Authorities of the Church came to call a new Stake Presidency and speak to us.  It was AMAZING!  They spoke all about the Hastening of the Work.  Missionary Work is not just for the missionaries as a lot of people may think.   Its for all of us, and I testify that as the members work together with the missionaries that more souls will come unto Christ than by any other means.  I challenge all of you to not only pray about the missionaries in your area by
name, but also pray to find ways that you can help them personally in this Work.  This Work is for all of us and I promise you that as you get involved that you will find more joy than you have ever had in your life.

I love you all and I hope you have a very fantastic week.  Can't wait to see you on Sunday!

Lots of Love,
Elder Zack

Bonus bit from his email to me today:
Feliz Cinco de Mayo a ti tambien!  I totally forgot about Cinco de Mayo until I read that so thank you for the reminder.  As far as I know, no, we don't have any plans since we've been so busy running around spreading the Gospel.  Heck, I think I'm making Spaghetti tonight.... shoot we're so white.  We'll just call it Espageti like all the hispanics do and call it good :)
Bonus little email: Funny Quick Story
This week I went on a quick exchange with an English Elder named Elder Wilson while they were here for stake Conference and took him to meet the crazy old Mexican family, The Brisenos.  He knows ZERO spanish, like he didn't even learn any in school or anything, and the Brisenos know ZERO English.  The whole night we taught the Brisenos easy english words like colors and stuff and taught him Spanish words along
those same lines.  That night Elder Wilson and his companion Elder Hansen stayed at our house and in the middle of the night, Elder Wilson woke us up because he was talking in his sleep....IN SPANISH!  He was just saying random Spanish words that he must have heard throughout the day!  Crazy, right?  He didn't remember any of his dream the next day, but all three of us heard him speak in Spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment