Thursday, November 14, 2013

¡Provecho!

¡Provecho! (translated: benefit, profit, advantage, gain, improvement, proficiency, progress, advancement,  Not sure which meaning Zack meant.  Possibly all of them.)

Hey there!
I can't believe that I've already been gone a month!  It's crazy!  Time flies when you're learning everyday and having lots of fun like this I guess!   
I've already been noticing some changes in myself since I left.  I didn't think it would happen this quickly but I guess I was wrong!  First off, I'm gaining weight.... I mean my 8 pack has dropped down to  6 pack now so I guess I need to start getting back in shape :) The only way I realize that I'm not getting super hefty is when I put on my sweaters/jacket that are way to big to me, look in the mirror, and think, "well we're not big enough for this to fit yet so that's a good sign!"  Second, my soccer skills are getting so much better.  Yesterday when we were playing,  my foot actually made contact with the ball!  Its OK if you're impressed just a little :)  Thirdly, there's moments throughout the day when I forget how to say some words in English!  Our District has a goal where every MondayWednesday, and Friday we speak nothing but Spanish until Dinner. Its helped me so much and has really helped a lot in lessons and given me a lot more confidence in my ability to speak.  And lastly, My testimony of the truthfulness of the restored and complete Gospel of Jesus Christ has been strengthened so much!  I thought my testimony was good before I came out, but since I've been here and begun to teach it and share it with the people here, it's become stronger than I ever thought was possible!  I love it!  

This week's been a little different than the others.  The Paradise that I thought the Mexico weather was decided to switch things up on us and dropped from 75 to 45 in one day.  It was crazy!  Everyone was taken off guard by it.  Because of this, my title of being the only one in our District not sick yet got taken away.  Tuesday I woke up with a super-stuffed nose, a super deep voice, and a really bad headache.   I popped some Dayquil and just kind of hoped for the best.  When it came time for gym time, we came back to our room to change and I just passed out on the bed.  An hour and a half later, I felt great!  Not completely healed but a whole lot better.  Elder Meidell wasn't too happy that I wasted gym time, but I was really grateful that he didn't wake me up until it was time for lunch.  Everyone in our district has been sick at one point or another since we got here.  I'm pretty sure its all the same thing and we're just continually passing it around.    

This week Elder Meidell and I really had to start being Zone Leaders.  When I say that, I don't mean that we were slacking off before, we just never had to do anything because our Zone's been awesome.  Friday night though, Elder Woods, the District Leader from District A, came and asked if he could talk to us.  District A showed up 2 weeks ago, but they haven't been improving or focused at all.  The Elders were acting like a bunch of high school students, and not the Representatives of Christ that they're supposed to be now.  Elder Woods just kind of broke down and told us how he just wants so badly for these Elders to be awesome missionaries and be ready for the field in a couple weeks.  He said he didn't know what to do to help them realize that.  Elder Meidell and I just looked at each other and knew we needed to go talk to them.  We went into their class during additional study time and began to talk them about being a representative of Jesus Christ.  While we were talking, 3 Nephi 5:13 popped in my head which says, "Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.  I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life."  I knew this was something they needed to understand so I had them all read it outloud, and while they were reading, the Spirit filled the room testifying to them that this is serious stuff we're doing right now.  There's no time to waste.    They've really improved since then and happy that through me and my companion, the Lord could help them to realize their calling.  I love being a Zone Leader! I felt kind of weird up in front of them, but if I found that if I picture the group I'm talking to as the swim team, it makes it a lot easier for me to talk to any group of people.  It doesn't make any sense but it works!

Last thing I realized is that pretending to be an Investigator is really hard for me.  Its really hard to look someone in the eye and pretend that I don't feel the things that we know in the church are true.  For example, the other day I was an investigator for Elder French and Elder Atkinson in our District, and my profile of my investigator didn't believe that God cared about them.  Saying that literally made a little bit sick to my stomach because I KNOW that He does care about each and everyone of us! My only regret from before coming out is that I didn't take the opportunity to share this message with the people in my life who don't know these things for themselves.  I know that this is the true church of Jesus Christ, restored to the Earth by God through a living prophet.  I know that anyone can know this is true by reading in the Book of Mormon and praying to our loving Heavenly Father to know for themselves.  I'm so thankful for the opportunity to serve a mission and to help people come to know for themselves about the truthfulness of this church.  I love you all!  Thank you for all your support and love.  I feel it everyday!

Lots of Love,
Elder Zack

We said goodbye to our Native roomates again on Sunday. 
Elder Valazquez and Elder Romero were two of the funniest
Hispanics we've met and they'll do great in Tijuana.

Our District poster.  Its parts of all of our Mission Plaque scriptures
 all put together into something that keeps us motivated on Mission Work.  


PS When you get a haircut here, you sit down and the lady just goes to work.  She doesn't ask you how you want it cut or anything and she doesn't speak ANY English so you just kind of have to hope for the best!  I sat down and the first thing she said was "Tiene mucho cabello" (You have a lot of hair).  She then proceed to fix that problem but cutting it all off.... Lots of fun!
Pre Hair Cut

Post Hair Cut

P Day ping pong while we did our laundry


No comments:

Post a Comment