Monday, July 14, 2014

Awesome Lessons with Awesome People

Hi there!
This week was AMAZING!  We made contact with every single one of our investigators and potential investigators and our numbers of people taught this week were the highest that Elder Shipley and I have had in the 4 months we've been together. This week taught me a lot about how important it is to follow your plans and follow the Spirit as a missionary. We had two AWESOME lessons that I want to tell you about.

#1 Leopolo
While Elder Blanck and I were on exchanges, we decided to go see Leo.  We show up to Leo's house and they're having a big ol' get-together out on their front yard.  Normally, I don't like to be the weird guy that shows up to a giant party BUT this time the Spirit just told me strongly that we should go up to them.  So we walk up and I start talking to Leo and a few of his friends (Elder Blanck doesn't speak Spanish so he smiled and nodded his head).  Before I knew it, one of Leo's friends named Oracio started asking me questions about our church, about what we believe, what is the Book of Mormon, and other cool questions like that.  As him and I were talking, I began to notice that every single person in that party had stopped doing what they were doing and begun to listen at least for a few minutes to what we were talking about.  One of them, named Jose, stood up from his SUPER comfy looking chair all the way across the yard and began to listen intently.  I began to teach them about the Book of Mormon, about how its a record of God's actions through prophets in the ancient american continent. All I really did was bear my testimony about how its another testament that Jesus Christ lives and that He loves us.  For some dad-gum reason, I had walked up to that party of Hispanics with an English Book of Mormon in hand.  So I extended the invitation to whoever wanted to learn more could come down with me and Elder Blanck to the car to receive a Book of Mormon.  Oracio, Leopolo, and Jose all followed me down.  They all 3 promised to read from the Book of Mormon and that they would be there the next week to learn more.  
That was without a doubt one of the moments in my mission where I've felt the Spirit the strongest.  When Elder Blanck and I got back in the car, I couldn't even talk because there were no words to explain how I felt.  I know this Gospel is true and that we were guided to that house by the Spirit because those people were prepared.  I'm very excited for the appointment we have with all 3 of them tomorrow.

#2 Fernando and Jenni
We ended up visiting them 3 times this week but what I really want to talk about is the amazing lesson with had with them yesterday.  We made plans with Presidente Lagunas to come to his house and have a lesson on the Plan of Salvation with Fernando and Jenni.  It was AWESOME!  They really are so prepared.  
Quick funny moment from the lesson:  We had just talked a little bit about the Pre-Earth Life, when we lived with our Heavenly Father as His spirit children before we came to Earth to get our bodies and have experiences, and I looked at Jenni and asked, "So Jenni, where do you come from?"  and with a HUGE smile said, "Mexico." and was completely serious!  Elder Shipley, Presidente, Fernando, and I all just busted up. I then rephrased the question and she got the answer right the second time.  At the end we invited them to be baptized..... AND THEY SAID YES! Fernando and Jenni are so prepared that we set them for the 2nd of August, AKA the weekend right before transfers.  I know they're ready.   I'm just going to be praying for them to keep doing as well as they are.  I invite you to keep them in your prayers as well.

I know this church is true and I know that as we go out and help our friends and family to come to the truth and to come to our Savior, Jesus Christ, we'll see miracles.  This is the truth.  I know it and I love it.

I also love you and I know that I wouldn't be out here if it wasn't for your support.  Have a great week!

Lots of love,
Elder Paddock

PS Texas Roadhouse with 8 Elders for Elder French and Elder Larsen's' birthdays is a lot of fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment